Saturday, February 9, 2008

Caryl and Martin and a couple of strangers

I went to a double bill of plays last night – This is a Chair by Caryl Churchill and Advice to Iraqi Women by Martin Crimp. It was from this company who I haven't heard of before but seem to be a bunch of former uni students getting out there and making theatre. Nothing wrong with that, in fact there is a lot right with that. They seem to have only done a few productions and have neatly carved it up between plays by Martin Crimp and stuff they have written themselves. Much to like about that.

They did This is a Chair first. I think this is one of Churchill's less successful plays. Compared to A number which I thought was incredible, this was a bit cold and too in your face politically. Don't slam it down my throat Caryl. I feel the same way when seeing Stephen Sewell. I want to walk up to them and say you think you're the only one who has realised the world is fucked up? Seriously. But that wasn't what really bothered me last night. It was the seriousness of the production. It was as if the director sat them down on the first day of rehearsals and said we are doing a serious play. Act accordingly. I think you have to have a little fun with Caryl. I think she demands you flow through the play with loose gestures and an even looser tongue. All those crisp cut-off sentences demand a loose, lazy body. Just my opinion.

However, they redeemed themselves spectacularly with Advice to Iraqi Women. Now, upfront, you'd have to completely baby rape Martin Crimp for me to find something wrong with it. But they didn't come even close to it last night. This is an incredible 10 minute play about child protection. It's humorous and slap you in the face horrific. And the good folks last night seemed to have a lot of fun with it. And halfway through Mr Crimp's play I got how to start my new play Good World. So thanks Mr Crimp, thanks Welcome Strangers. I'll give you a credit some day.

No comments: