Friday, June 13, 2008

Rethink to rewrite

Started to pave a way through Leila’s backstory last night in my ongoing attempt to rethink the way I rewrite. I didn’t think I was doing much but the things that came out of it slowly but surely started to cement things in place. God is in the details and so is good subtext. I should copyright that. It’s horrible to say, but I’ve been cutting corners for too long without doing the nitty gritty, sometimes boring, frequently pointless on the surface, extra work. Playwriting takes up so much time as it is who wants to take more time? I got things to do people.

Oh, how wrong can one not so little girl be?

Very, it seems.

But there’s another point to this as well. That this kind of exploration into the deep murky pasts of characters has to be a very disciplined kind of adventure or else it quickly unravels and floats off into a different play and you find yourself getting way offcourse. This I find is what I usually do. Note … usually. Not this time people. Very strict guidelines with clearly marked signposts have been erected for this little exercise. There are certain things I need to know in order to flesh out this play. These are the only things I need to know. I love it when I’m harsh with myself.

No comments: