Thursday, March 27, 2008

play and play and play

I have been progressing very nicely with the new play. It's not quite finished yet but it's circling for a landing. I think, I hope, that this rewrite, if nothing else, has allowed the characters to connect in ways that strengthen their own journeys, illuminating their moments. I still have to think about the screens that are part of it and how to include that more in the character's journey. It's looking like it's going to need a huge, hi-tech space to pull this play off. Oh well, dream high.

I'm thankful that it has retained the dreamy fairytale essence (right word? Probably not) that I wanted and J's scenes are so easy to cut up and not lose anything from their power. This has actually been really fun and full of play which is quite strange. I love that I feel so comfortable with J's words that I can mess with them without freaking out or thinking that she is going to freak out. It's all very go with the flow with us. In the beginning, when we first thought we would work together we only had one rule – We can take anything out and put anything back in. This is a great rule/guideline. Talk about freeing each other up to just follow the story and play and play and play.

Back to the playing.

No comments: