Monday, September 22, 2008

A riddle

Answer me this.

I draw up a plan for things I want to accomplish in a day. I write them out, I get a little scared but manage to bully myself into thinking of course you can do this. Normal, every day people do much more than this every day. Get up off your arse Murdoch and get busy.

And then work I do. No problems here with the working but the day just seems to go south so quickly that all the things that were meant to be done are still just sitting there. Waiting. And while we are on the subject, why do all the things that need to be done have beady eyes and take long slow asthmatic breaths? Okay, maybe that's just me. Still …

However, today I got 12 pages of the grown-up full-length done. That was fine – took longer than I thought but that's all good. Words take as long as they take. I GET THAT!

But somehow it's 5.00 in the afternoon and not much else has been achieved. I've done a couple of submissions, I read a play, I went and did a couple of errands. Watch my day breathing its phlegmy breaths as it goes sailing out to sea.

Maybe I need a time management course. Maybe I need to read more self-help books. Maybe I need to stop, you know, flaffing about.

No comments: