Monday, December 29, 2008

A letter

Dear mega-chain bookstore,

Before I begin my rant, I understand that we have a troubled relationship. Perhaps I am to blame for that. I say nasty things about you behind your back, calling you names and the death of various things. I say these things and then I try and sneak in the back entrance and take advantage of your undercut prices and get a little thrill when you change the selection at the 3 for 2 display. But let us bare in mind that I don't do this without some sort of financial layout. In other words, mega-chain bookstore, I pay. Oh, and pay I do. One of your executives that has never read a book in his life is driving around in a BMW thanks to the money I fork out at your counters.

So maybe I expect a little something at this very festive, GIVING time of year. Maybe I expect you to reward us with a little bit of a POST-CHRISTMAS SALE! But oh no. No, you dirty rotten bastards, a cheap table at the back of the shop with some ripped cookbooks from the 70s with new and exciting recipes to make apple and waldorf salad does not constitute a sale.

I understand times are tough, there is a credit crisis on. I get that. What I don't understand is why we aren't solving this through the power of literature. Explain that mega-chain bookstore. Here you have a great opportunity to not only boost the coffers, thus ensuring the mortgage payments of the beach house, but populating the world with great books.

Just a thought.

And I'll see you next time you change the 3 for 2 display.

No comments: