Friday, January 11, 2008

Vomiting and Blurbs

I've got a play opening in November this year at this wonderful place. I've been working on this play since February 2006. I wrote the first draft at this incredible place (where everyone slightly creative should try and get a residency) in May 2006 and have been drafting, developing, workshopping, listening to actors tell me how to write a play and all of the other horrid things associated with getting a play ready for the masses and now it's come to the hardest thing of all - the 50 word blurb for the brochure.

What the #$%!?

I can't believe how hard this is turning out to be. I've done hundreds of these for short plays in various festivals but this full-length one is killing me. I thought I had nailed it last night but now I'm kinda looking at it going I don't know if I would go see this just by reading that. Which is both stressing me out and pissing me off. Stressing me out that all I need is 50 measly words and for someone who is engaged in a long destructive codependent slightly S&M relationship with her word count button I know my master is not happy with me. So much fiddling, rewriting, deleting in a hysteria of what can I say to make you Please Like Me, Please Like My Play, Please, please, please COME SEE MY PLAY!!! And then it pisses me off that I'm fading into a pathetic loser that can't even get 50 words together about a play that I have lived, breathed and occasionally vomited over (well drunk too much in order to get away from it and then vomited).

And don't even start me on finding an image to go with the blurb. DON'T. EVEN. START.

No comments: