Thursday, January 17, 2008

Today

Finally finished at day job last night so that I have a few days to prepare for my week away. Even though I'm only going away for a week, it seems like I have a million things to do. Of course, as always happens with me, I tell myself the first thing I am going to do is sleep. Sleep and sleep and sleep. And then, always, I wake up at the exact same time I do when working the day job. However, and here's the interesting thing, when waking up for day job, I need about 20 pushes of the snooze button and an electric cattle prod to get me up. When not going to the day job, I wake up bursting with energy ready to tackle day ahead. Interesting. Well, perhaps not. Perhaps my body is just a slave to the moods of my mind. But here I am. I've been up for a couple of hours, reading Nicola Barker's Darkmans which is a fantastic book, full of ordinary characters doing ordinary things which turn out to be mythical and fantastical and anything but ordinary. I'm about ¾ through and it's endlessly fascinating. And I've already got a load of washing on.

Today is going to be half admin, half writing day with a couple of sessions with my new pilates DVD. Yes. I'm fast becoming a devoted member of the pilates cult.

Now that I've got the first draft of The Cleaning Station play out of the way and am not going to do anything to it until I get some notes back from J who is up to her ears at the moment judging a short film comp, I'm kinda flitting between projects which is bad and not what I want to be doing. I think most of my admin time today is going through my submissions folder and working out when I need to have things done and ready. Last year, while I submitted a lot, I missed out on things because I didn't leave myself enough time to get things ready. I have two full-length plays which are still in the developmental stage (meaning they are just a bunch of crazy notes with bits of scenes and random dialogue from the characters) and I should be working on at least one of them so that if I get time, which I won't, I can work on them next week when I'm away. But I'm not going straight back to day job when I get back so it will give me something to focus on when I get back.

And then there's the short story than I'm trying to get ready for the end of Feb for a competition that's worth some money. One of my goals this year is to make some damn money from my writing. So all money opportunities should be top of my list.

No comments: