Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Kev

Last May I decided that I was going to buy a goldfish for my best friend for her birthday. K and her husband C had just moved to Melbourne and I thought that a fish would be a nice thing to make their house into a home. So I bought them Molly. And Molly looked so cute that I then bought Polly. Polly stayed with M and I and Molly went to live with K and C. Well Molly and Polly didn't turn out to be the great gift that I thought they were going to be. M didn't really bond with Polly evidenced by the fact that he continually called her Moby and C took too much of a liking to Molly and set about doing everything he could to smother this poor little fish in love. C got a new tank for Molly and then decided that it was too cold for a coldwater fish in Melbourne so started to turn up the heating in the tank. And up. And up. You can see where this is heading. That's right. C electrocuted the fish. Burnt it to a crisp. I swear I saw smoke. So Molly went to the great big fishbowl in the sky. Polly/Moby continued on until she too one day saw the light and paddled her way to the big man upstairs. K and C decided that they just weren't fish people which is probably the understatement of the century but M and I decided that it was kinda nice having another being in our house so we promptly climbed back on the horse and came home with Kev.


Kev has been with us now for nearly seven months which is pretty damn good for a 5 dollar fish. M is so enamoured by Kev that sometimes he talks to him in his sleep. We love Kev. I love Kev. I love that Kev never takes time out. He swims around his bowl at a million miles an hour. He ducks and weaves around his toy shark, he never stops being hungry and I swear when you go to his tank he comes over and says hello to you. I know that Kev must be nearing the end of his term with us and it's not right to love such transient creatures, but we do love Kev and we want him to break some record for just how long a 5 dollar fish can live. Go Kev. We know you can do it.

No comments: