Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Schedule

I have set myself up an impossible task of writing projects. I know it is impossible but still I try and achieve it. By Friday I have to have a residency application (complete with essays on a new project) and a new 10 minute play. That sounds alright. That, in fact, may be doable. Except that this is me that we are talking about. So I've got two projects that are ready to be started (and have been for a while) so I'm not sure which one is the better one for the residency. The 10 minute play I started a couple of weeks ago but then I just wasn't feeling it. It was a bit clever and then a bit ditsy for me. But I did come up with a new idea yesterday. This is for the Heartland 10 minute play comp and you have to write a play dealing with the theme/setting "the coffee shop" in some way. The idea I came up with yesterday was to do a series of letters between two people who are trying to find each other. We see them in different coffee shops around the world and we hear their words as they try and get closer to one another. So I have the ideas. I just don't have much else.

On top of that, I'm trying to keep the momentum from my week away on my play The Cleaning Station. Yesterday, I finished off the plan but it's still in bits and pieces and needs to be typed up to look clean and lovely. And then of course it has to be written. Preferably by 15 Feb.

All of this is not necessarily a bad thing. I like having a lot to do. I like having a lot of deadlines – it keeps me from staring at my navel wondering why my life is crap. But with all this work, something gets lost. A dreaming time, an imagining, things erupting out of nowhere. If you're always chasing something, nothing has a chance to come to you.

No comments: