Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Train travel

I took the train yesterday to Albury from Melbourne. I've never been a fan of train travel but this was quite spectacular. Quite. And I don't really know why it was so much fun but I think it has something to do with the process of leaving and arriving, of actually travelling somewhere as opposed to getting in a plane and being plonked somewhere an hour later. I got to see every tree, every sheep, goat, cow, horse between my house and my destination. I loved all the little train stations and how every tiny town is its own tiny town with its own unique little pub and set of shops on the main drag.

So J and I arrived to write our little play here in the midst of nowhere and so far it has been great. We've talked until we were blue, we've walked the streets of Albury, we had dinner in the pub, we went grocery shopping together and now we've just woken up and thought about stuff. It usually takes a while to get into these residencies but seeing as though we only have a week, we've got this pressure on us to get started. Now, now, now. We're trying to work on both our play and our screenplay and anything else we think we might want to do. So we've set ourselves an ambitious program of work from now until Sunday but we're both walking around with this very eager look on our faces so only time will tell what is going to happen.

No comments: