Saturday, October 25, 2008

What’s up pussycat?

Finished at cash job and it looks like I'll be doing my real job next week which is quite an exciting prospect. So much so I had way too many glasses of wine last night and woke up this morning feeling like crap that had been fermented in a wine cask. AKA not pretty. Anyway I trudged up the road and got myself a plate of bacon and eggs and started a slow recovery.

Have been working feverishly on the new draft of Good World which I am hoping to get done and dusted in the next week. I am going to have to put the wine glass down in order to do it but people have made larger sacrifices in the name of art. In the new draft I haven't screwed with the structure too much but enough for it to be much cleaner and (hopefully shorter). I would like it to be around the 90 minute mark which is about 80 pages à in the current draft it's just over 100 pages. I have also got rid of one of the playing stages which was a bare space that served as various outside locations. I never liked it as it looked like a device I had just thrown in (which basically it was) so I've got rid of it and given the characters one space in which they don't leave until the end. That's all they get so they are just going to have to make do with that! I think it's going to give much more of a claustrophobic air to the whole thing which is exactly what it needs.

There's three characters in it - two sisters and a stranger. I'm going to keep the stranger outside for a lot longer – until the end of Act One. I think (hope) that it is going to build the tension of the whole piece.

So that's what I'm working on at the moment, as well as writing answers to email interview questions and baking brownies for my actors.

No comments: