Friday, January 29, 2010

Radio Plays

Who knows anything about radio plays? Me? Nothing. Not a scratch. Well, I do know that they play on radio. There is that. I'm not a complete eejit but as for anything else ... well, let's just think about this. Let's try and define a radio play, as opposed to a stage play. It's a play for voices ... and sound. I can't have people moving around too much. Although I guess they can move. Man walks up stairs ... clomp, clomp,clomp. I guess silence wouldn't play too well. Lots of people crowded around a radio asking "IS THIS THING ON?" So silence is somewhat ruled out.

Are there any more differences?

You can't see the actors. Which I think is a marvellous invention and there should be more of it. I'd like all my actors dressed in a full body suit and then maybe they would learn that it's not you stupid, it's the words. The words are the important thing. Which is probably a good rule of thumb when thinking about radio plays. And I am. I want to write one. I'm just not sure where to begin.

No comments: