Sunday, June 7, 2009

Update

Still waiting for the last scene of the first draft of Cut for Stone to give itself up. Part of me is telling myself that the reason that the scene won't come is that there are all the problems in the rest of the play. The other half is telling me that that is a cop out. Just write the damn scene. It's a very uninteresting battle in my head to see who wins out first.

In happier news, I've finally started a "youth" play that I actually like and I think is actually quite good. Well, good in a first draft sense.

I'm going to see this tonight. My bid to see only women playwrights is kind of screwed with this one but there are two female playwrights. I'm also seeing this next week. Does that even up the score? Maybe I have to rethink this whole thing because I really want to go see the Will Eno play that's on at La Mama. If I see all the female playwrights, all of them, then maybe I get to see what I want after that. Except for Joanna Murray-Smith. She really doesn't need me flying the female flag for her. She seems to be doing alright and really, her plays shit me to tears. You heard it here first.

I'm also reading this, which I found in a remainder bin and pretty much like the cover so bought it for five bucks. Then I find out it is shortlisted for the Orange Prize and proves yet again that people are dumb and don't know good when they see it. It's the fictionalised story of Nikola Tesla who invented the radio and AC electricity and got screwed out of his invention by Edison and Westinghouse and died penniless in a hotel in New York. Don't let that put you off. Because it's also about pigeons. It's a great read. Find it in a remainder bin near you.

No comments: