Thursday, February 24, 2011

What I’m doing

What am I doing? Well, outlines. I'm writing so many outlines at the moment, I'm starting to live my life in short, sharp actions:

Shannon walks to the shops to buy dinner. Contemplates the beef, but goes for the lamb. Makes witty statement about people and indecision over small life decisions to no one in particular. Fellow shoppers move away in barely concealed terror.

I've always had a troublesome relationship with outlines veering wildly from compulsively making long, detailed documents to thumbing my nose and driving at top speed into a draft.

But I think I may have found a breed of outline that seems to be working that isn't too detailed, but is detailed enough to put me on the right path when I'm flailing about in the ditch when trying to get characters what I want them to. And, if you're wondering, it's all about action. Follow the action of the scene and you have to work really, really hard to fuck it up.


 

PS Don't forget cheap monologues here and here. Only a couple of days left!

No comments: