Sunday, May 17, 2009

Only women

There seems to be a lot of talk around the moment about the status of women in theatre. Or, more accurately, the fact that we have none. This talk has been going on for so long it has taken on the characteristics of that thing that you did forever ago and she won't ever let you forget about it.

One of the reasons that the talk keeps popping is that nothing ever changes. We still are vastly underrepresented, we still have to fight the notion that we don't tell "well-made stories", we still have to put up with patronising comments such as "a woman just won the Pulitzer, what are you people whinging about?".

So instead of talk, I'm protesting with my feet. Next weekend will be the last play I see by a man. I'm only going to plays written by women. It's not a lot of a protest, but it's something. I have a feeling I'm not going to be going to a lot of theatre.

No comments: